1. Hide this website
  2. Need Urgent Help?
Open site navigation menu

Support with utility bills

Help with energy bills

Some of our highest costs come from heating and running our homes - but there are often things that can be done to cut those costs. If you can't pay your energy bills now, contact your energy supplier. 

It's also worth planning ahead now, before the colder months, so you can get things in place and make the changes you need.

Support you can access yourself

Information on saving energy and reducing your bills at home is available online from many sources.

This advice can help you to:

Energy support payments

The Government has announced support for people affected by rising energy bills.

This includes £150 for most households living in properties in council tax bands A to D.

More information about this support, how it will be paid, and how you can access it as quickly as possible visit Preston City Councils - Council Tax rebate for home energy costs.

Household Support Fund

The Household Fund is to assist residents most in need, in the Preston area, to help with significant rising living costs, It is intended to help those who do not have enough resources to meet immediate short term needs and require assistance with essential items over the coming months.

Visit the Household Support Fund

Apply for money off low carbon heating technologies

Check the Boiler Upgrade Scheme guidance and  how to apply.

Advice for business

The energy regulator Ofgem offers a general guide to business gas and electricity use.

Support if you can't afford to top up your prepayment meter

You can get temporary credit if you can't afford to top up your meter. Your supplier might add this to your meter automatically when you run out of credit, or you might have to contact them and ask. 

Visit Citizens Advice to find out who your energy supplier is if you are unsure

If you're struggling financially and have a pre-payment meter, you might be able to get a fuel voucher.

This is a code given to you in a letter or in a text message or email. You can use it to add credit to your gas card or electricity key. If you don't have one of these, contact your supplier to get one. 

You can contact your energy provider and ask for a 'fuel voucher' if:

  • you have less than £4 on your meter; and
  • you don't get paid for several days

A fuel voucher is a £49 voucher that can be applied to your meter. The vouchers can be applied up to twice in one year and you don't have to repay them.

Energy advice or if you're struggling to pay arrears

Contact your energy supplier and tell them you're struggling to afford your bills. Your supplier has to help you find a solution. Talk to them about a payment plan that works for you - this means making payments you can afford over a fixed period of time.

Visit Citizens advice for information on what to do if you're struggling to pay your energy bills.

If you have gas, electricity or water arrears that you're struggling to pay, you can find out about grants and benefits to help you pay your energy bills on the Citizens Advice website.

The Energy Bill Support Scheme

The Chancellor of the Exchequer has announced an extra £15 billion of support for people dealing with the rising cost of living.

For more information visit the energy bill support scheme

Cost of living payment

You may be able to get a payment to help with the cost of living if you're getting certain benefits or tax credits.

You do not need to apply. You'll be paid automatically. If you have had a message asking you to apply or contact someone about the payment, this might be a scam.

For more information visit our Cost of living payments page.

Disability Cost of Living Payment

Individuals on disability benefits will receive a one-off £150 payment in September to help with extra costs, such as for specialist equipment or transport.

This is in addition to the £650 Cost of Living Payment for disabled people who also receive means tested benefits.

Find out about cost of living payments

Winter fuel payments and Pensioner Cost of Living Payment

In the winter months pensioners can get between £100 and £300 to help pay heating bills.

This winter, they will also receive an extra one-off £300 Pensioner Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid as an automatic top-up to the Winter Fuel Payment.

Find out about winter fuel payments

British Gas Energy Trust

British Gas Energy Trust are an independent charitable trust set up to support families and individuals facing financial hardship and energy debt.

If you're struggling with your energy bills they may be able to help, no matter who your energy supplier is.

Find out about support from British Gas Energy Trust

Help with your broadband and landline phone bill

Broadband social tariffs provide a safety net for eligible households who might be struggling to afford their broadband and phone services. Different options are available to people in receipt of benefits.

Find out about broadband social tariffs

Energy Efficiency

Advice and information on the Home Upgrade Grant which can be worth up to £25,000.
See more Go to Energy Efficiency
Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice

Provide the advice people need for the problems they face with free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.
See more Go to Citizens Advice