Household Support Fund
Round 3 Household Support Fund now available
The Household Fund is to assist residents most in need, in the Preston area, to help with significant rising living costs, It is intended to help those who do not have enough resources to meet immediate short term needs and require assistance with essential items over the coming months.
This grant can be used to help towards the cost of:
- Energy/water needs
- Essentials linked to energy / water needs
- Wider essentials but only in exceptional circumstances
The third round of the support funding is to support those in most need due to the rising cost of living.
It is not intended to cover debt advice or general financial hardship support which is not linked to energy/food, warmth and/or hygiene.
The fund is not intended to cover housing costs as there are other benefits and support available to help with these.
Awards will be made where there is no alternative means of meeting the need.
Please be aware that the Household Support Fund is a cash limited discretionary fund and payments will be made on a first come first served basis. All applications will therefore be processed strictly in order of date received and if all requested supporting documentation is complete.
To be eligible for the scheme you must be:
- A resident of the Preston area - please visit GOV.UK - to find your local council
- Experiencing financial hardship and not have enough resources to meet your immediate short-term needs
The scheme can help with short-term living costs such as food, gas, electric, water, household bills and clothing (this is not an exhaustive list).
The scheme will also signpost you to other sources of advice and support to ensure that you get all the assistance you are entitled to.
You may be offered a referral for advice and assistance with finance, debt and/or welfare benefits, to help address your long-term needs.
Please Note - White goods, furniture, flooring and carpets cannot be considered under this scheme unless in exceptional circumstances and the decision of the council will be final.
The scheme does not cover:
- Any requests for items that are not essential for example debts incurred by gambling or loans/credit cards, overdrafts, HP etc
- Applications from those with sufficient income or savings
- Requests for household items where these are the responsibility of the landlord
- Rent arrears and/or deposits unless meeting exceptional need
- Only one application per household
How to apply
Visit Preston City Council's Household Fund page for more information on the scheme and how to apply.
What information will you need to include?
We will need the following information:
- Where you live
- Full household details
- Your circumstances
- Your income
- Your most recent Bank Statement showing one months transactions and showing your name and address - dated within the last 2 months. If you do not provide complete bank statements your application will not be considered.
- All applications must be supported with bank statements for all adults in the household and for all accounts held - these must be for one full month - showing transactions in and out of the account and must be dated within the last 2 months. Screenshots showing the bank account details only will not be accepted but pictures of bank statements may be submitted.
- If you pay your Energy Bill by Direct Debit we will require a copy of the front and back page of your most recent bill and confirmation of what type of meter you have installed.
- Evidence of any gambling on bank statements provided will be investigated further
- What support you need and an in-depth explanation as to why the support is required.
Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Can I appeal a decision if my application is unsuccessful?
As this is a discretionary scheme there is no right of appeal. However, if you think Preston City Council have overlooked important information then you can ask for them to look at the application again by emailing email@example.com providing reasons along with your name, address and reference number.
This decision will be final.