1. Hide this website
  2. Need Urgent Help?
Open site navigation menu

What to do if you are in crisis beyond your control

Lancashire County Council provide a crisis support scheme and can provide help with essential household items.

View Lancashire County Council's help with essential household items

To apply for household items an approved organisation must refer you to the scheme, such as a social worker, housing association or Citizens Advice. 

What does the crisis support scheme offer?

This is for people of Lancashire and is designed to assist the most vulnerable in providing essential household furniture or white goods.

If you need help to maintain or set up a home and cannot afford your immediate needs you may be eligible. For example, help setting up a home after being in care, moved home following a disaster such as flooding or fire or moved home due to violence or fear of violence.

How do I know if I am eligible 

You can apply for the support if you live in Lancashire, over the age of 16 and you are in crisis due to unplanned financial events.

You also need to be on low income, so if you receive income support, income based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), income related Employment and Support Allowance ( ESA), pension Credit (Guarantee Credit only) and Universal Credit.

When will the scheme not be able to help me?

The scheme is not for support if your benefits have changed, such as changes to Council Tax Support or reductions in Housing Benefits. 

If you need extra help with your housing costs or Council Tax, please get in touch with Preston City Council.

How do I apply for the scheme?

To apply for the household items scheme you will need to be referred by an organisation and with your permission, the organisation will make an online referral on your behalf. For more information visit Lancashire County Council - Help with essential household items

What items does the scheme provide?

The items that are available are through furniture re-use organisations. The scheme does not provide loans or cash payments.

The scheme may be able to help with the following items:

  • fridge (single people / people living alone)
  • fridge freezer (couples / families)
  • oven (couples / families)
  • mini-oven or microwave (single people /people living alone)
  • washing Machine (families)
  • single bed
  • double bed
  • bunk bed
  • cot
  • mattress

The number and type of household items that you receive will depend on your living arrangements.  

Recycled or reconditioned electrical and furniture items will be sourced wherever possible. Items will be delivered and installed by a network of local furniture reuse and recycle organisations.

The scheme can only help once with any request for furniture.

What if I disagree with a decision?

If you disagree with a decision you will be able to request a review and provide additional information or evidence to support your request.

Please contact Lancashire County Council to request a review at CrisisSupportScheme@lancashire.gov.uk.