Welcome to Preston
Here's some information about the city of Preston, helping you move to the UK.
Facts about Preston
- Preston is in the north west of England
- Population of 147,000
- Liverpool and Manchester 55km away
- Blackpool 25km away
- Large train station, reaching London in 2 hours 10 minutes
- Busy bus station
- Beautiful city centre parks with sports facilities
- Harris Museum and Library offer free internet access
- Busy events calendar, many free
- Royal Preston Hospital is located near the centre of Preston. We can help you register with a local doctor and a dentist.
- In an emergency, call 999 for police, fire or ambulance. Non-urgent police call 101. Non-urgent medical call 111.
- There are two leisure centres in Preston - Fulwood and West View in Ribbleton. Both have a gym, swimming pools and football pitches. The local football team is Preston North End, currently playing in the Championship league.
- The University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) is near to the city centre and one of the best in the UK. We can help with school places and courses for adults too.
- There are many places of worship in Preston. 47% are Christian; 26% identify as no religion; 16% Muslim.
- July is the hottest month at 16°C (61°F); January is the coldest month at 4°C (39°F).