1. Hide this website
  2. Need Urgent Help?
Open site navigation menu

Housing Support

If you're struggling to pay your council tax, rent or mortgage, you may be eligible for a variety of support.

Help to pay your rent

Universal Credit

You may be able to claim Universal Credit if you're on a low income or need help with your living costs.

For more information visit Preston City Council - Universal Credit or visit GOV.UK - Universal Credit on ways to apply for Universal Credit. Citizens Advice also provide a Help to Claim service, chat to an adviser online or call 0800 144 8 444.

Housing benefit

Housing benefit is a welfare benefit that helps people on a low income to pay their rent. It can pay for part or all of your rent.

You may be able to claim housing benefit if:

  • Pay Council Tax on your home
  • Have savings of less than £16,000. If you have reached the qualifying age for pension credit, you may be able to have more than £16,000 in savings
  • Are on a low income, for example you work full time, part time or are self employed and get a low wage or you get any state benefit

Visit Preston City Council to find out about and apply for housing benefit

Discretionary housing payment

Preston City Council's discretionary housing payment (DHP) scheme provides for a top-up of rent for a temporary period to help people facing a crisis and to enable them to stay in their homes.

To be eligible you must already receive housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit, you can't get a discretionary housing payment towards your rent.

You must demonstrate that your weekly income is less than your weekly essential expenditure. An award is normally for six months.

Apply for a discretionary housing payment

Help to pay your mortgage

If you're struggling to meet your mortgage repayments, the government may be able to help.

You might be able to apply for the Support for Mortgage Interest scheme to get help towards your interest payments on:

  • your mortgage
  • loans you've taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home

Visit GOV.UK - Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)

Help to pay your council tax

Council tax support

If you're on a low income you may be able to claim council tax support to help you pay your council tax bill. Council tax support reduces your council tax bill in the same way other discounts (like single person discount) reduce your bill.

Visit Preston City Council to apply for council tax support

Council Tax Support - exceptional hardship fund (EHF)

An Exceptional hardship fund has been set up by us for those in need of assistance with paying their Council Tax.

The fund is intended to help in cases of extreme hardship only. 

Visit Preston City Council - Council Tax Support - exceptional hardship fund