Being a parent has never been easy. It can be lonely, frustrating, heart breaking and over-whelming.
Life-changing events can happen to anyone. That is why Home-Start is ready to support families through their toughest times.
Every Home-Start volunteer is trained to help them work alongside you to overcome the challenges you are facing.
Home-Start work with you to build on your strengths and give you the support that you need.
Home-Start is a local community network of trained volunteers and expert support helping families with young children through their challenging times. We are there for parents when they need us the most because childhood can't wait.
Home-Start Support Services
Home-Start can help with the following services:
- Activity ideas for children - It can be hard coming up with ideas to keep your child/children occupied. Here are some free and easy activities for pre-school children that you can try together - because childhood can't wait.
- Disability and illness - volunteers may be able to support you. If you have just received a diagnosis, are attending hospital appointments, or are looking for financial help for medical equipment or to adapt your home.
- Forces families - Volunteers support families who are facing a range of challenges including isolation, as they move away from their existing support networks of families and friends. Some local Home-Starts offer groups where parents and children can meet together.
- Isolation - volunteers offer vital links into your community, helping and your children access playgroups, parks, specialist support of all kinds - helping you to build support networks so you and your children can flourish.
- Mental ill health and postnatal illness - Home-Starts across the country may be able to help - with the support of a volunteer who understands and can visit you at home, or through specialist support groups such as Mums in Mind. If you are a father struggling to cope while your wife or partner goes through the dark days of postnatal illness, you may be able to find one of our dad's support groups.
- Money issues - From helping attend meetings with Citizens Advice or the benefits office to working with families to find grants that help ease the financial burden of coping with disability or illness, Home-Start volunteers are making a difference to families like yours.
- Twins, triplets and multiple children - volunteers provide an extra pair of hands: for the mum who struggles to get a pushchair and her toddlers down three flights of stairs to the parents of triplets who need a volunteer to help get the whole family to the park or to do the food shopping, Home-Start provides tailor-made help to give your children the best possible start in life.
- When a relationship ends - you don't need to struggle alone to give your children a good start in life - especially if you are trying to cope after a separation, divorce, or after leaving an abusive relationship.
Welcome to Home-Start YouTube Video